Sunday, April 27, 2008

Atlanta's Museum of Natural History





Atlanta, Georgia... I had to travel back to Atlanta for the second time in two weeks. The drive was made more difficult by large stretches of construction on the interstate. It is always amazing to me that so many drivers ignore the construction signs and blast past the road crews just feet from melding chrome bumpers and tire tread with soft tissue and human skulls.


Trying to stay awake , I popped in a book on CD. Though an interesting book, blending fiction and history of the 17th century, it lost a bit in translation from Spanish to English.

At times I felt my head drop just in time to jolt me awake. Fortunately I made it to Atlanta safely with no damage to me or anyone else.






Fernbank Museum of Natural History







Once again I found myself with time to fill. The Fernbank was only 10 minutes from the hotel and two hours would be more than enough time to see the entire museum.


http://www.fernbankmuseum.org/



Although it bills itself as "Smithsonian South" it does not quite pull it off where the bones hit the proverbial road. As you enter the octagon shaped great hall a 123 foot long Argentinosaurus dinosaur stands as the overseer of the Fernbank. Hanging from the ceiling is a flock of Pterodaustro and Anhanguera are tucked into three corners.










































Of the three levels of the museum the Entry Level has the most interesting exhibit. "A Walk Through Time In Georgia" is a journey through lifelike geographic regions and prehistoric times of Georgia. The exhibit includes, the modern day sights and sounds of the Okefenokee swamp, a cave, a giant sloth and a dinosaur gallery. A group of wild turkeys first caught my curiosity with their life like appearance. Not to mention it was getting close to lunch time and the thought of turkey only tantalized my pallet. Much of the exhibit was educational in nature and is excellent for younger students.











There is also an I Max Theatre with a five story high by 72 feet wide screen, a cafe and a museum store. The Fernbank Museum of Natural History is a great place to take the younger kids, but I think your older teenagers may be a little bored.