Friday, April 18, 2008

Atlanta Zoo Is No Monkey Business








Atlanta, Georgia... I had several hours to between meetings and it was a beautiful cool spring day. Although I am in Atlanta quite often I had never been to the zoo.







( http://www.zooatlanta.org/home.htmme.htm ) So I used this opportunity to do the zoo. Most of the zoos around the world that I have been to, U.S., Canada, Germany even India each gave me one special memory. In Berlin it was baby lions that my kids were able to hold in their excited young hands, in New Delhi it was White Tigers, long before they became the rage in magic shows. For evermore Atlanta will be gorillas.


















This particular day it could be said was bad timing on my part. Approximately 30,000 Atlanta school children were disembarking their yellow buses as I approached the front gates of the Atlanta zoo. My plan to beat the crowds was to go left since most were going right. I would miss herds of screaming snot nose kids. Wrong! The zoo is not all that big and the kids were overflowing the grounds. I swear they were multiplying as they yep and hollered at the meerkats and panda. It seemed like I had no escape. So I relented and pushed my way through the runts. Hey! I had a camera, I needed to get in close to animal enclosure. So as I attempted to balance against the fence in front of the gorilla enclosure small hands tugged at my pants legs and bumped my arm as I missed a great shot. But slowly my surroundings faded as I was totally immersed in the lives of the gorillas before me. I was up close and could almost reach out for a quick stroke of the course hair of a silverback male. He stood as a majestic overseer of their encampment. The Atlanta Zoo is probably not the highest ranking zoo in the country ( only my opinion) but the Gorilla Enclosure is more than meeting any one's expectation on how to manage animals in captivity. This is proven by the shear activity of the animals , male displays of running and beating their chest, the interaction of the females and their young and the shear joy of the young playing with each other and the adults. This was the most active group of gorillas I have ever seen.




The old silverback male was Ozoum, a Western Lowland Gorilla. At forty-eight years old he is nearing the end of the average life span of fifty years for a captive gorilla. As he made his way through the enclosure you could sense the respect the other 22 gorillas had for him.







The family interactions were remarkable to witness.




















Kali practicing his karate moves.







The twins, Kali and Kazie were having great fun wrestling. Much of their play serves their education for the future. Hard to believe that cute playful Kali will grow to over three hundred pounds and could snap my neck with his pinkie finger.







Mom enjoying the moment.















While I have been to many zoos which in total are better than the Atlanta Zoo, I believe the Atlanta Zoo's gorilla exhibit is the best I have seen. Thank you for such a delight, Atlanta!



WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww


RICK-DA-SCALE

Here I will give my humble uneducated opinion of the places I have been. On a scale from 1-10 where 10 is nirvana and 1 is equal to having your right eye stuck with a hot poker while the left eye is forced to watch book reviews on C-Span.

Location_____________Rating____________________Comment

Atlanta______________ 6___________________Too many cars and people

Zoo_________________8___________________Gorilla Exhibit

Restaurants___________7___________________You can find any type

Accommodations_________7__________________Downtown Location

(Holiday Inn Select, Capitol Center)


No comments: