Sunday, February 24, 2008

Orlando

Orlando, Florida



Travel to Orlando on a recent business trip was rather fun on a Delta Connection, Freedom Airlines' ERJ plane. Only three seats wide and over head bins about the size of my SUV's glove box. Given the choice of placing my carry on under the seat in front of me or having it checked, I opted to have my knees to my chest for an hour and fifteen minutes. If you are over 5'11'' this plane is not for you. I really can't complain since my tab for this trip is being paid for by another company.



Airport Transportation



The Orlando International Airport has lush tropical landscaping on it's expansive grounds. It would only be better if some of the money allotted to the landscaping would be used to better coordinate ground transportation. I realize the Airport Authority has little control of private transportation companies but Mears Shuttle service should be reconsidered as a transport company. Two hours from the airport to the hotel, 15 miles away, is a huge waste of my time. Each of the people at the business meeting had the same experience. Get more drivers and shuttle buses, Mears or turn in your airport passes. A taxi ride is about $50.00 but it may be worth the money.



Hotel


The Carib Royale Hotel is isolated and located a distance from anything that matters in Orlando, but it is very nice accommodations with every room being a suite. Plus, as I mentioned, I am not paying for this , so I really can't complain. I was able to turn on the TV in the living room and the bedroom at the same time and not miss a word on CCN ( as if this really matters) as I walked from the bed to the computer. There is some very nice landscaping on the hotel complex but it gets lost to the dark of night with little emphasis on lighting.

The first night I ate a Jeffery's Restaurant and Piano Bar on Sand Lake Road, which is owned by Bar Harbor Seafood Company. We had a group of 15 which the restaurant staff accommodated well. The food was very good. The menu was a little thin on seafood and fat on pricing.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/orl-dining0807apr08,0,50718.story



If you are looking to keep your expense account low the Carib Royale has a take out cafe open 24 hours per day on the first floor of the main building. It is very inexpensive, under $10.00 for a hot meal. This may not be what you want to do if you are trying to impress clients.








Illicit Animal Body Parts Trade





After visiting several souvenir stores I was appalled to see multiple animal body parts being displayed for sale. One counter had tails of mice and dogs and there was a full section of the store that had row after row of mice ears. Even more disturbing was the fact that after an individual purchased the mice ears they would allow their child to place them on their head. What are we teaching our children? The black ears are mounted on skull caps and after the child would make a few steps the ears would flop to one side. When questioned why the stores had such horrific items for sale, most answered that this was standard practice in and around Orlando. I, also, saw dozens of shrunken mouse heads for sale with a red bows, as if it was a gift wrapped present. This entire trade of animal parts was sickening to me, even though I come from a state where alligator heads are taxidermied and sold next to hot sauce. I tried to investigate this further but to no avail, so instead I buckled to tourist-du-souvenir pressure and bought a pair of those ears which now sit next to my alligator head and a copy of the "Best of Orlando".

No comments: