Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Smoky Mountains to Nuclear Testing as Art



Huskey Gap Trail

Just back from Tennessee. What a fast eight days of rain, sleet, snow and cold wind. While in Pigeon Forge I had time, between repairing the hot tub covering at the cabin and waiting on the phone company to install our new lines, to check out a trail in Smoky Mountains National Park. Huskey Gap Trail is a 3.1 mile trail that begins across from the popular Laurel Falls Trail at Sugerland Mountain Trail Head ( www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/hiking.htm). Huskey Gap unfolds with a long steep assent on a smooth surface of leaves and rock. Fortunately most of the snow and ice from the day before had evaporated. I have to admit the strain of the climb, cold air and my age required I stop about every hundred feet or so to allow oxygen to reach my brain. Be certain to take a camera. I have learned that you can save face by stopping to take a photo while in actuality you are catching your breath.
This is a great time of the year to check out this particular trail since the leaves of the sugar maple, sweet gum and hickory trees have fallen, giving way to panoramic views of the mountains. It was about 20 degrees but once I was over the first peak of my assent the wind died down and I actually removed my gloves and unzipped my coat just a bit. I usually do not see much wildlife on these trails but since I was the only one foolish enough to be out in this cold weather I was hoping that I might catch a glimpse of something. With 1500 black bear, thousands of deer and a few elk in this park you would think I would stumble on to at least one animal. Just about the time I had forgotten about the wildlife I almost left some "rick scat"on the trail as a female cardinal flew from the bushes a few feet away. I don't know who was more startled , the bird or me. As I pushed further into the woods the trail leveled off for a short while. There were fallen trees piled high, having been pulled down the surrounding slopes by rushing water. An opening free of branches and underbrush happened ever so often and allowed for some great photos and deep thought.
An easy trail to manage, Huskey Gap Trail is one not to miss, especially during the winter months.

Knoxville/ Nuclear Testing as Art



The drive from Pigeon Forge to Knoxville was clogged with eighteen wheelers and holiday travelers. It made me wish I had a new navigation system in my SUV, one that would actually maneuver on it's own once you would punch in the destination and set the automatic pilot. It would also be nice to have a system that would stroke your ego. Turn on the engine and an airy feminine voice would say, " Oh! Rick you turn me on,". Or sit back on the leather seat and you would hear," Why, you must be working out, you feel so muscular against my seat back". Or even, " You don't have to ask for directions, you never get lost." But alas, what I really hear is ," Make a u-turn. You passed it up you stupid idiot". So even though I drove around in circles for a while we arrived at the Knoxville Museum of Art which is located at the site of the 1982 World's Fair (http://www.knoxart.org/ ). Parking is free and only a short walk to the front door. The cost of admission is a very low $5.00 per person with anyone under 17 getting in free. As we arrived a jovial attendant described the Michael Light exhibit 100Suns. He told us in a discernibly New York accent that the exhibit consisted of photographs of nuclear testing after the end of World War II. Did we just waste 10 bucks! I have to admit we were a bit sceptical and saved this exhibit for last. The museum is surprisingly small for a city the size of Knoxville and I was a bit let down by the quality of what I had seen. There are the Throne Rooms with miniature dioramas. Basically upscale doll houses. By the time we arrived at the 100 Suns exhibit I was feeling disappointed. However the Michael Light Exhibit 100 Suns was shockingly beautiful and thought provoking. He salvaged a part of our national history by using digital software and photography to enhance the photos of nuclear testing in Nevada , Christmas Islands and Bikini Atoll. It is hard to imagine that such a destructive force can also be so beautiful. The most haunting image was the dozen or so men that sat in lawn chairs, goggles on and within deadly grasp of the radioactive fallout. This exhibit will be at the museum until June 1, 2008.



Back in the car I hope to hear, " Why Rick, the seat belt is tight on you bulging muscles." Ain't technology grand.

No comments: