Thursday, November 15, 2007

Fall in the Smoky Mountains



Fall Colors
The leaf colors peak usually mid October to November but this past year there was still plenty of lavish colors at Thanksgiving. The Smoky Mountain fall colors are more muted than what you will see at higher elevations in Colorado or upper New York state but they are non the less a sight to witness. I had the opportunity to fly over the Mountains by helicopter this past fall.
A rather cold day. It is not often that we get blessed with such a clear one. The Mountain had shed its mantel of smoke. A yellow and black helicopter gently landed 25 feet in front of us and a young pilot motioned us in. The blades were still turning and a blast of cold air bit my face. There was space for three passengers. I was able to take the seat next to the pilot. Who by the, looked like he had just changed from his high school uniform before he came to work. I was a little sceptical. " Where did you learn to fly, the military?" I asked. "No." he went on to say he learned from video games. "Just kidding", he laughed as he lifted off. Any concern of his ability was quickly laid to rest. He was a pro and made working this machine look effortless. We flew over rolling hills with carpets of colorful foliage. Over the city of Pigeon Forge I caught a glimpse of my log cabin and then I saw Dolly Wood Amusement Park to my right. It covered more acreage than I thought. A great place to visit with kids. Wholesome and prickly sweet.
There is a large open mine pit that I did not even know existed not 5 miles from my cabin. As we approached the Mount LeConte the pilot became a little playful. He waited until the very last moment before he pulled up to top the mountain peak. I loved it. I am not certain the couple in the back seat enjoyed it. They did not say a word the entire trip. On the way back we passed over Wears Valley. I looked closely for black bears but never seem to have any luck. Everyone who as ever been to the Smokies sees black bears, bear cubs, bears in the water and bears in the fields. Not me. Not since 1962. The last time I was the closest is when I was on a trail just off the roadway. I heard something large crashing through the under brush. By the time I made it the trail head, 25 cars were stopped. Everyone was running with cameras in one hand towing the kids in the other. As I reached the crowd of onlookers most were already heading back to their cars. I heard one say, "Yea, it was a female with cubs. I've got great pictures. Want to see?". "NO! but I can tell ya where to put 'em". Another near bear miss. I am starting to feel jinxed. The helicopter was back at the heliport before I knew it. A quick 20 minute flight that will last a life time or at least until dementia sets in.
You can check out photos by clinking on the one at the bottom of this page. Go to public albums and you will be able to see a variety of photos.

No comments: